The following are examples of possible essay exam questions for the midterm. Although these questions may not appear on the midterm, the midterm will be comprised of questions like these.
- What is experimental research, what is correlational research, and how do they differ?
- Experimental research involves random assignment and manipulation of independent variable(s).
- Experimental research can be used to determine causation.
- Correlational research involves calculation of the relationship between two variables as measured by the coefficient of correlation.
- Correlational research cannot be used to determine causation.
- What factors can cause the attenuation of a correlation?
- A correlation can be attenuated by either measurement error or multiple determination.
- Measurement error means that our measures are not perfectly reliable or valid.
- Multiple determination means that a score on one variable may not be solely due to a score on a second variable. For example, anxiety may be correlated with school performance, but school performance is also affected by motivation and intelligence.
- What is the meaning of a trait of personality?
- What is the lexical hypothesis, and how is it relevant to personality psychology?
Back to Syllabus
Back to the Great Ideas in Personality Home Page